Friday, December 31, 2010

She Did It!

Olivia has taken a pacifier since birth when she is going to sleep. We rarely let her have it out of her crib. We even have a little bucket that sits on her dresser that she puts her paci in when she wakes up. But she did need it and ask for it when she was going to sleep.

Yesterday when she woke up I told her that she didn't need her paci anymore because she was a big girl. I asked her if she wanted to throw it in the garbage and she said "uh huh". She walked right to the trash can and threw it away. We then got the other paci's that were in her diaper bag and in the bucket on her dresser and she threw all of those away too! Then she helped me tie up the bag and carry it outside. (I didn't want her going to retrieve them later.)

I was a little nervous as nap time approached. I laid her down and she asked for paci. I reminded her that she threw them away and then left the room. I heard her talking for a minute and then silence. I checked a few minutes later and she was fast asleep with no paci and no tears!

The next challenge was going to be bed time and waking in the night. Ken put her in her crib and walked out of the room. No paci and no crying! She slept all night with no paci!

We used the same throw it away method with Ella when she was this age and it worked like a charm too.

And to prove that it wasn't traumatic at all, here is my big girl enjoying her new wagon.




4 comments:

Kristin said...

Thats great ab=nd a good idea to

Dee said...

Good job, Olivia! And good job to Mommy and Daddy, too - nice method!

timlinzrowland said...

We used this same method with Daniel and it worked like a charm too. Rascal had to give his up due to tooth trauma but he didn't care too much. Now giving up his bear......that may not ever happen!

Blessed Mommy of 2 said...

Yay! That is awesome =) I can only pray that our battle with my youngest is half that easy!

Post a Comment